Thursday, 22 April 2010


I don't tend to hide the fact that I do not like my job. I've not liked it since the first week I started there, which was only at the end of January. Since that very first week I have been looking for and applying for other jobs. I can't imagine that it looks all that great to prospective employers that I've only been in the job for three months (and three days if we're being super accurate) but I'm hoping that my nicely crafted way of saying "The job description was a lie" goes down ok with them. I've never had less responsibility in a job, I used to complain that my very first job when I left university was boring and I had no responsibility, but in comparison to this role I may as well have been running the hospital. That's how little responsibility I have now. So why did I apply for the job I hear you ask. Truth be told that on paper my current job looked really appealing, it looked like it would be the next step up in my career ladder. How wrong I was. Audio typing for 7 - 7.5 hours a day wasn't in a job description. My job title is not Audio Typist. If that's what the job had been advertised as I wouldn't have applied.

On Tuesday morning I had my first job interview since starting to apply elsewhere. The job sounded amazing, the pay was great and the company is very well known. I was with the company for just over an hour, the first 30 minutes was spent carrying out a work based assessment in the form of audio typing a letter (I did chuckle to myself about that) and then I had to answer around six questions on diary management, such as how would I make sure my boss made it to all the appointments he had in his diary for that day (I didn't like to mention in the interview that clearly 'my boss' needs to be spoon fed and therefore why is he in a position of such power). Following that I was lead into an interview room and was faced with four, yes four, people who would all be asking me questions. It was just me and my glass of water, which I drank all of by the way, against the world. I was told that they would be getting back to the successful candidates (there were two positions available) either that night or the following morning. That night, at home, I waited. And waited. At last my phone rang! Alas it was only my father telling me to look into the sky as there was a plane flying overhead, the first we had seen in days. We're easily excited in my family. By 7 pm I assumed that I would have to wait until the next day. Thankfully I had work to keep me occupied so I didn't really think about things too much but I was slightly nervous, which is very unlike me as I've never been nervous going into an interview or when waiting for the result. Around 9.00 am (or 9.08 am if, again, we're being accurate) my phone rang. It was them. I answered the phone trying to sound cheerful when really I wanted to shout "You'd better be calling to offer me a job! Get me out of this place!" I didn't get the job. I was devestated. I was told that I'd be given a bit of feedback there and then but that she'd give me more feedback on Friday afternoon. The gist of the conversation was that I had done brilliantly in my interview but that small things had gone wrong in my assessment which had meant that two other people had edged in front of me.

I'm still, over 24 hours on, gutted about this. I don't know why employers feel it's comforting to tell someone how brilliantly they did in an interview but then not offer them the job. It's no comfort. I am glad, however, that they're bothering to give me feedback. A lot of places now don't even bother to call you to let you know if you've been unsuccessful, which I find terribly rude after all the effort someone has gone to in order to fill out a long and boring application form and then to actually get to the interview. Manners, it would seem, do not matter in an employers market. Today, for example, I received an e mail from my local council telling me that after consideration of my application I was not going to be offered an interview for a job I applied for. I will admit to being slightly baffled by this as I met every single point on the essential criteria list, I went to the effort of spelling out each point to them. The application took me hours. I e mailed them back asking for feedback and where my application fell short. That was around 10.30 am, I've not yet had a reply and I'm not expecting one.

But I must move on. Next Friday I have another interview, thankfully there's no work based assessment involved. I just have to talk at the panel and keep my fingers crossed over the bank holiday weekend that they offer me the life line I need.

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig